"You're the guys with the Leprechauns, right?": Ireland's love/ hate relationship with its stereotypes.

Why hello there! You have somehow stumbled upon my blog and I thank you for doing so! As many of you know, I am an Irish expat living out here in South Korea. What brought me here do you ask? I sometimes question that myself, despite having been here for over a year now. What I do know is that living here so far has taught me who I am as a person and what I'd like to do with my life...wow, this is already sounding far too deep already!

Since I am part of the small Irish group living out here, it's no Melbourne or Boston - I am constantly questioned about what Ireland is like and have found myself spending my time debunking stereotypes and general myths concerning the little green island. So, I decided to ask my friends and colleagues what knowledge they had about it and turn the results into my first blog post! Here's a run down of the ten most popular stereotypes that came up and I hope by reading this, your own queries will be answered! Anyway - enjoy! 


P.S. This post will be a two parter, so here's the first five points! As some of these topics are pretty heavy in terms of politics and religion, I have included funny pictures and GIFs throughout the two posts. ^^



PART ONE


giphy.com

“Oooh, I love Guinness and Jameson! You can all hold your drink really well!”

You know what? So do I! Before moving to Korea, I was afraid that I'd be deprived of these leisurely items but I was pleasantly surprised that they are very common here in South Korea! I have even come across versions that wouldn't even be available back home in Ireland. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of places where you can purchase a decently-poured pint and at a price that won't break the bank. A popular choice is the Wolfhound Irish pub, that has branches in the two biggest South Korean cities of Seoul and Busan. Funnily enough, I have never been to either the Guinness Storehouse, despite working right beside it for nearly two years, or the Jameson Distillery! 
As for holding our drink, I'd be lying if I said no as this stereotype is quite true. Ireland has been known for its binge-drinking culture, which often paints us in a negative light. Thankfully, attitudes have started to change towards this culture. I have many friends who only have a few now and then or have completely abstained from drinking. It's nice to have a can every now and then with friends but it definitely shouldn't be used as a way to deal with heavier issues, especially mentally.

                                
                                                     Both photos from my private collection.


      “You're the guys with the Leprechauns, right?"


      
tenor.com

Well, yes and no. Yes, Leprechauns are figures originally from Ireland and no, in a sense, because they do not actually exist! Sorry to break it to you guys but the little green fellas are only one of our many mythological creatures. All those old Hollywood movies were lying to you about Leprechauns living in caves at the end of the rainbow with their pots of gold. So, I apologise if that's what you were planning on doing on your holiday in Ireland.
However, since they are the most famous of our folktale characters, we do have a museum dedicated to them in our capital city, Dublin, where people can visit if they'd like to learn more about them. I admit when I was younger I was approached by tourists for directions and while doing so, I would warn them to keep an eye on their valuables as Leprechauns were known to steal things. Sixteen year old me got a great kick out of that but I don't think those gullible visitors did. 

     
compiko.info

“So you’re all lucky and have red hair?”

These are probably the biggest stereotypes that I'll write about in this post. Firstly, in general,we do not think of ourselves as "lucky". This is actually a term that becagan in America, to describe "lucky" coal miners of Irish birth who became successful in the business in the late 19th century. In a way, it is almost an insult as it hints that these Irish only earned their fortune by pure luck, (thank you www.irishcentral.com)!
As for appearances, in the last ten years, Ireland has become home to thousands of people of various nationalities. This is mainly due to the economic "Boom Time" years in the early 2000s, that attracted people of poorer countries to move over for better employment and way of life. This is pretty damn ironic, as I will outline in the second part of this post.
At present, our country's Taoiseach (prime minister in Irish) looks fairly different than most Irish. A former doctor and ex-Minister of Health, Leo Varadkar, who as my Canadian friend called him the "Hot guy Indian president" (not exactly - ha!): is half -Irish half-Indian. While I personally don't agree with his policies most of the time, his selection as the country's leader was great PR for Ireland as besides not looking typically Irish, he is also openly gay and our youngest Taoiseach, paving a way for the place to appear diverse and modern to the outside world.  
Despite this, we do live up to these stereotypes at times. Since August 2010, The Irish Redhead Convention takes place in the town of Crosshaven, Co. Cork, in the South of Ireland. Thousands of redheads come together for a, "festival of ginger loving madness". Sure, they even crown a Redhead Kind and Queen each year. 
As for our newly re-elected president (uachtarán in Irish), Michael D. Higgins, who goes by many names, from "Michael D", "Miggeldy" to most affectionately and stereotypically:"Our official Leprechaun". Despite his almost comical stature and older age, he has an impressive political and academic career, is rarely seen without his beloved dogs Bród and Shadow and is always up for a bit of craic (fun in Irish), as you can see in the pictures below.   

                                                                         www      www.shorpy.com                                                                         www.independent.co.uk                                  
                                    Michael D & Leo with  Bród   The Daily Edge                    Fergal McFerran (Twitter)
             

“St. Pattie’s Day seems like so much fun!”


www.redbubble.com


For the love of all that is good, it is either St. Paddy’s Day or St. Patrick’s Day. That’s it! Now that's out of the way, it can be an excellent day. The whole day is centred around St. Patrick, who brought Christianity to Ireland. It was also said that he banished all of the snakes in ancient Ireland. What a badass, huh?  I believed this for years until sadly, I found out that it was actually a metaphor for getting rid of the Pagans...slow clap, I know! Feasts were held from then on to honour him but the festivals and parades we know today actually started in America. Due to the influx of Irish immigrants from at least the early 1700s, Boston was the first city to hold a St. Patrick's Day Parade in 1731. It wasn't until 1903 that March 17th was deemed St. Patrick's Day and as a national holiday in Ireland. Unfortunately many people think this is a day to "embrace Irish culture",which in their minds means binge-drinking. Oddly enough, most Irish, when they get to a certain age, see the day to relax and organise a walk or a dinner with family or friends, usually staying away from busy pubs. This is until you move abroad and find yourself being the only Irish person around. Then, you have no choice but to fully embrace Paddy's Day in all it's glory! The Irish Embassy in Seoul even hosts a St. Patrick's Day Festival each year. I will definitely need to check it out next year!  

thesun.ie
           
                                        Walking with friends on Paddy's Day 2016 in Ireland.                        Embracing "Irishness" - Busan, 2018


“Niall Horan, B*Witched and Westlife are Irish, yeah?”


MakeaGIF.com

Yep, that's right but there are many more to be recognised! As a country renowned for its artistic feats, plenty of Irish musicians are known around the world today. I was extremely surprised that those were the three that stood out, especially since B*Witched or Westlife haven't been round in years!
Famed Irish musicians usually stick to these genres: 

Rock and Roll; people think of Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher and U2. 
PunkAlternative Rock; The Pogues, Hozier and the Cranberries.
Traditional (or trad as it's called at home) with legendary Christy Moore and the Dubliners. 

Of course, we can't forget Enya, who is a lady that is pretty hard to put into a genre as she sounds just like an angel. 

I've left a few links of some of these music acts below. They truly deserve a listen...they might be even sound familiar!

                                                                                        The Cranberries - Linger


                                                                


Part two is coming soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in Korea - the Loneliest Time of Year?

"You're the guys with the Leprechauns, right?": Ireland's love/ hate relationship with its stereotypes (II)